It is a busy time in Wellington .NET User Group land.
Nine months ago I switched us over to fortnightly user group meetings. While it's sometimes a struggle to find speakers, thanks to the great support of the speakers and the Wellington community, we're able to entertain, teach and enlighten every 14 days.
I thought a round-up of our activity over the past 12 months would be interesting:
21/05/2008 - Subversion and Cruise Control - Sky Sigal
07/05/2008 - Visual Studio certification & SQL Server Reporting Services - James Hippolite
16/04/2008 - There's more to life than C# and VB.NET - Kirk Jackson
02/04/2008 - Mocking 101 - Owen Evans
19/03/2008 - Silverlight 2.0 - James Newton King
05/03/2008 - 2008 Lightning Strike! - Various Presenters
13/02/2008 - 2008 Summer Road Trip - Jeremy Boyd, Chris Auld, Kirk Jackson
30/01/2008 - ASP.NET MVC framework - John-Daniel Trask
05/12/2007 - Introduction to Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) - Ivan Towlson
21/11/2007 - Dynamic Runtime & Languages - What's it all about? - Ivan Porto Carrero
07/11/2007 - SQL Server 2008 for Developers - Jeremy Boyd
03/10/2007 - A lap around Visual Studio 2008 - Darryl Burling
19/09/2007 - ASP.NET Futures: Dynamic Data Controls - Andrew Tokeley
06/09/2007 - Virtual Earth – Overview on Spatial Development - Matti Seikkula
01/08/2007 - Developing with Windows SharePoint Services v3.0 - Zac Smith
04/07/2007 - C# vs VB.NET - continuing the epic battle - Philip Cox and Kirk Jackson
06/06/2007 - Well MIXed! - Chris Auld
As well as organising 16 of those talks and 20 speakers to present, in the past 12 months I also have:
- Presented a PowerShell presentation at TechEd NZ in August 2007
- Presented on C# 3.0 features at a corporate user group
- Given a presentation for ELCM351 at Victoria University on "Future Directions in Web Development" (more on this later)
- Been the treasurer of the NZ .NET User Group Incorporated Society, and written about 100 cheques for beer and pizza, as well as attending committee meetings and procrastinating about budgets
- Organised the "Dev Code Camp 2007" on Sunday 12 August 2007 in Auckland, just before TechEd. It was a struggle finding speakers, organising catering and sponsorship, and MC'ing the day. Probably the hardest event I've done so far... Watch out for another one this year :)
- Presented on C# 3.0 at the Dev Code Camp as well.
It has been great to have the support of the speakers listed above from the Wellington community, and even greater that 8 of them spoke for the first time at the user group this year.
I'm always on the lookout for new speakers. If you're interested, drop me a line!
(I'm looking for a speaker for Wed 4 June by the way :)